It’s easy (too easy, actually) to get stuck in thoughts about how far feminism has to get til we’re all “free”…. I feel tired just thinking about it. In honour of the 16 Days of Action Against Violence Against Women, I’d like to make space and talk about the successes of feminism. I asked 16 feminists to share their thoughts.
The biggest success of feminism is………….
- Love. Specifically teaching and showing us how to love each other in this world.
- Raising awareness about women’s rights and oppression.
- That we, as women, know it to be true that we are the core of community.
- Understanding intersectionality, inclusion, and a true definition of diversity.
- Helping individual people see how their experiences fit into a bigger socio-political picture and thereby inspiring collective action for change.
- The ability for women to ally with other women.
- Respecting, believing, and creating space for survivors to heal.
- Riot grrrls, validation and getting that there’s no wrong way to have a body.
- Exposing patriarchy as the root cause of violence against women.
- Self worth.
- Strength of resistance
- Sadly too dependent on one’s geography
- The growing awareness that surrounds it and our ability to discuss feminism openly and publicly.
- Reflected in every girl who received an education.
- Love! Big, radical love for people who don’t fit… or don’t want to fit… or think we shouldn’t have to fit the mould that patriarchy left us.
- ____(insert your answer here)______
By Sharon Milewski