Based on our individual and shared experience as women, our aim is to create a feminist rape crisis center which will:
- Be part of an autonomous women’s liberation movement
- Fight violence against women on many fronts, in many ways
- Be pro-choice
- Support a woman’s right to resist
- Support a woman’s sexual choice
- Provide a service based upon the belief that men are solely responsible for the violence they commit against women
- Find ways to learn from each other which are empowering to all
- Find ways to resolve individual differences among ourselves with respect for all women in the group
- Work together with other women’s groups
- Find ways to be accountable to the women’s liberation movement
- Be open to feminists and women interested in rape crisis work
- Hold training sessions for women interested in doing rape crisis work, sharing skills and information
- Provide a service, including legal and medical advocacy, crisis counselling respectful of the woman’s choice
WAVAW strives to be representative of women from a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. Our volunteer board of directors is completely comprised of women and our team of staff and volunteers include women from many different educational, socio-economic, religious and cultural backgrounds. We represent diverse ethnic groups and different levels of physical ability and we are able to deliver many of our services in multiple languages.
- WAVAW values freedom of choice and respect for all individuals.
- We believe women are self-identified and encourage all women to access WAVAW’s services.
- We integrate the principles of honesty, equality, integrity and respect into every aspect of our work.
- We value the opportunity to learn from the collective wisdom and experience of women.
- We value the strength of relationships in our work and community service
- Our practice is non-judgmental; we embrace diversity as it is essential to anti violence work
- We are committed to each individual’s need for safety when accessing services
- We are committed to quality service delivery and competency
- We see opportunities to advocate and educate youth, women and men on the root causes of violence
WAVAW Rape Crisis Centre works to end all forms of violence against women. Guided by our feminist anti-oppression philosophy we challenge and change thinking, actions, and systems that contribute to violence against women. We provide all women who have experienced any form of sexualized violence with support and healing, and engage with youth to develop leadership for prevention of future violence.
A society where all women are free from violence.
Click here to download WAVAW’s history of feminist service.
Click here to view WAVAW’s 30th Anniversary timeline.